Thursday, April 26, 2012

Farewell, Michele. You will be missed.

I usually don't write about what upsets me. It doesn't actually benefit anyone and we could do without more negativity in cyberspace. This time, it is different. What I am about to share is extremely upsetting and personal but I share this in honour of a beautiful human being who entered my life for a short amount of time and made a huge impact. 


Michele Vivona entered my life two years ago, when I joined the LexisNexis Marketing team. She was the Senior Vice President for Global Web Strategy then, had 20+ years of experience working in various parts of the organisation and was a friendly face and brilliant marketer. Six months ago, we started working together on a project - she would dial in from Seattle, USA and I would do the same from Kuala Lumpur. We exchanged ideas, challenged each other, joked, laughed and exchanged pictures of our pets. We bonded. 


She was someone extremely senior, a brilliant individual and an extremely busy person. She made time for me. We met again in Japan earlier this year and we bonded even more. I had many questions about my career. She had wise answers to guide me. She believed in me more than I did and she demonstrated that. I was someone on the other side of the world - naive, impressionable, hungry for knowledge. She was experienced, seasoned and probably chuckled inwardly at some of my petty concerns. 


Michele cared about me. She showed me time and again that she cared. She was present when we hung out in person and she was present when we were apart. I felt her support, her encouragement and she always made it clear that I made her proud. 


She was a beautiful human being. Her life was cut short and her passing is still a shock to all of us who knew her. I selfishly cannot fathom why my time with her was cut short but I cannot change that. I can celebrate her and tell as many as I can about her. I can take lessons from who Michele was. I want to grow up to become her. She was awesome. 


Rest In Peace, Michele [1964-2012]. 


  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment